- Planning Division
- Transportation & Mobility
- Concord Trolley PILOT Background Information
Concord Trolley PILOT
Concord Trolley Information
Town staff has requested funding for one trolley/shuttle to operate in Concord from approximately June 15, 2022, through October 31st, 2022, in a one season pilot program. The trolley will operate on a fixed loop beginning at the Thoreau Depot to Concord Center/Visitor Center and five tourist destinations as noted in the below. While requesting a one season turnkey contract as a pilot program, the Town is interested in documenting use and interest in a shuttle program to support expanding services for future operations. These expansions, subject to data gathered during the pilot, funding, and interest level, may include:
- A wider visitor route to include the towns of Lexington and Lincoln with the Minute Man National Historical Park (MMNHP) sites
- An additional loop or expanded route to West Concord
- An expanded time of operations to include commuters “first mile/last-mile” needs
The pilot trolley/shuttle is to be operated in a “hop-on, hop-off” capacity serving five (5) tourist destinations beginning at the MBTA Concord Center commuter rail stop to allow visitors and locals alike to be less car dependent while in Concord Center and visiting the historic sites. The goal is to provide a convenient, less stressful visitor experience, reduce the number of cars on local streets, and promote the use of the commuter rail service. The shuttle schedule will be timed to align with the MBTA schedule.
This trolley/shuttle pilot program is in line with the Town’s Envision Concord - Bridge to 2030 Long Range Plan (https://concordma.gov/2281/Comprehensive-Long-Range-Plan), Concord’s Climate Action Plan, Transportation Advisory Committee goals, and the Town’s overall goals to be a more inclusive community by allowing greater access for a wider variety of people to visit Concord without the need for a car. The Visitor Center reports that at least twice a week there is a request for a vehicle to help guests visit multiple sites around town.
The full Town of Concord Trolley/Shuttle Pilot memo can be found here.
- Select Board Presentation
- Minute Man National Historical Park: Feasibility Study for Town-Led Shuttle Service: Led by the Volpe Center, a Federal Transportation Group, the Minuteman National Historical Park, Concord, Lexington, and Lincoln.
- Tourism Market Analysis: MAPC study on economic development in Concord
- Sustainable Concord: Concord’s Sustainability Action Plan
- Roadmap to Concord Transportation and Mobility: Transportation Advisory Committee Goals
- Trolley FAQ with additional information and updates
- Original Trolley Memo, May 2022