Highlights of CMLP’s History
1891 - 1897
Under the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Chapter 370 of the Acts of 1891 allowed a town like Concord to "engage in the manufacture and distribution of gas and electricity."
1898 - 1899
On April 4, 1898, Town Meeting voters finally decided to take control of Concord’s electric service, voting to establish a Light Plant governed by a three-member Light Board of local citizens.
1900 - 1910
On February 2, 1900, the Power House began generating electriTown for the people of Concord. As a result, electric rates were "far below average" according to the Light Board.
By 1910 the Light Plant's revenue totaled over 33 thousand dollars and the town had over 8 hundred street lights that covered approximately 45 miles.
Rapid growth resulted in a Town Meeting vote in 1920 to double the size of the Power House, an expansion that was completed in 1926.
In the spring of 1930, the Light Board considered placing lines and equipment underground in the business district.
During the first half of the decade, World War II dominated life in Concord, and electric revenues dropped considerably due to the war.
The post-war building boom went into full swing in the 1950s, with homes going up all over Town.
Rapid growth continued during the early years of the decade, when the Light Board spent a considerable amount of time discussing new policies to accommodate the building boom.
Growth had begun to slow down a bit, and as a result the Plant’s cash position suffered.
The cost of power was a major issue in the early 1980s, as rising fuel prices pushed up electric bills.
A heavy workload caused by the increasing complexities of the utility business prompted the Light Board to step up its monthly meetings to every three weeks in 1990.
We are proud to be a part of the Concord community. When creating this municipal utility, our founders believed that local control would mean better utility service.