- Public Works
- Water & Sewer
- Design & Construction Standards
Design & Construction Standards
Water Service Basic Requirements
- Construction Schedule: No new water service shall be installed from December 1 to April 1 of the following year except in such cases deemed appropriate by the Director.
- Fees: All fees associated with providing water and sewer service shall be assessed and collected before inspections or service is provided. No person shall connect, or cause to be connected, any pipes to the water and sewer system, or take or feed any water and wastewater there from, without permission of the Division.
- Inspection: All pipes and equipment must be arranged so that Division personnel can easily inspect them. All scheduling and coordination needs involving Operations Personnel shall
requireda minimum of 48-hour notice and be performed during normal working hours (7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.).
Water Service Specifications (3/4-inch to 2-inch)
Proximity of Water to Other Utilities
Service lines shall not be placed within 10 feet of pipes carrying wastewater or associated infrastructure, or within 3 feet of any other utilities except under special conditions and with the prior approval of the Superintendent.
Water Service Materials
- Service Line: Unless otherwise specified, service materials shall be Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (PE) black tubing with a pressure rating of 200 pounds per square inch (PSI) and shall conform to AWWA C901 - Polyethylene Tubing, ASTM D-1248, ASTM D-2737. Copper Tube sizes shall be used to allow the use of compression fittings without special adapters.
- Service Brass: All fittings, connections, corporations, curb stops, and service appurtenances shall conform to AWWA Standard C-800 (latest revision) and pack joint end connections shall consist of Buna-N beveled gasket for
watertightseal. An independent, split-clamp locking device or stainless steel beveled gripper shall be incorporated inthe design for additional restraint. Ford, Mueller, MacDonald and Cambridge service brass is accepted without substitute.
- Curb Box: The curb box shall be cast iron or stainless steel.
Water Service Installation
- Care shall be exercised in the placing and laying of tubing to be sure that the pipe does not have kinks or is not placed on sharp stones or ledge which would cause damage to the pipe. Minimum buried depth of service shall be 5 foot. Place at least 6 inches of sand, adjacent to, above and below the tubing. No stone shall be dropped on the tubing until the depth of
back fillabove the tubing is in excess of 1 foot. Water service pipe shall be denoted using tracer tape with markingof "Water Pipe Below."
- The Town shall make final connections of new service(s) to the existing water system unless otherwise directed by the Superintendent.
New meter installations shall include approved wiring to connect the water meter register to a touch pad located outside the building in the immediate vicinity of the electric